Thursday 4 March 2021

HVAC noise from multiple units on Condo Roof

I've lived in a condo here in Miami for the past 30 years and never heard any sounds come from the a/c units on our roof. I changed my a/c 2 years ago to a Carrier and even before that the 20 year old condenser couldn't be heard. Somewhere about the end of November 2020 we started hearing deep low frequency noises permeating all the rooms on the 2nd floor of our condo and to a lesser extent the 1st floor. I can now even hear a/c condensers 3 units down humming away. It is especially evident when I put my ear to the wall. We complained and the Prop Management had all the owners put rubber Anti Vibration pads underneath the units. One owner even went as afar as changing her condenser out completely to what appears to be a new one, and it's still just as bad. I have attached a pic to give an idea of what the installations on our roof look like. Standing outside on the roof when the units start up they don't sound bad at all, but inside it sounds like some huge machine just started running.
I have had a few a/c guys come out and take a look and I am now at the conclusion that many of these guys only know how to replace a unit, or detect if it has a leak. They haven't been able to even begin to tell me what could be causing this sudden change. To give some background, We had a good deal of water coming into our condo back in September 2020 and they had roofers come out and re-tar the a/c lines where they go into the roof. I also have new neighbors who I have heard drilling away into the wall (not the one with a/c lines) that we share. One of the offending units is old as dirt (20-30yrs old) and we are just dumbfounded that it could still be working. The owner is refusing to do anything more than put some cheap old rubber pads.
Does anyone have any insight to offer or know what type of expert I need to bring in to tell us what to do to get rid of this noise? HEEEELPPPP!!!
Attached Images
 


source https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/2227150-HVAC-noise-from-multiple-units-on-Condo-Roof?goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment