Thursday 4 March 2021

Fell victim to the old "Oversized / Under Ducted" scenario - new unit for me (YAY)

Hi all, me again.

Well, as the subject states, my 8 year old downstairs Rheem gas pack finally bit the dust. You all helped me last year with my unit replacement for my upstairs system and got the installation working perfectly after some hiccups, so I come back to you all here for some wisdom. In a nutshell, my Rheem gas pack died an early death - the coil developed a leak at some point and leaked to the point of freezing up mid summer of last year. I paid to have it recharged, hoping to nurse it along for a few more years. Had the previous homeowner registered the unit on install, I would have at lead had the warranty to replace the inner coil, but, such is life. He apparently either did it himself or paid someone to do it, and a hack job it was. Current unit is a 10 SEER.

Anyway - so, I had a few companies back, just to keep them honest, but ultimately went with the company that installed my upstairs unit last year, despite some of the challenges I had. We settled on the LRP16GE24-072P - AHRI matched unit (can you have an unmatched AHRI packaged unit??). It will be my first forage into a two-stage unit, and want to be an knowledgeable as I can and ask the right questions during the install Again, they were the only company to do a load calculation and ductwork analysis, and came to find out that for my downstairs (approx 1200 sq feet, 11 window door) was only being fed by five 6" supply ducts (with one being in a bathroom which the door was always shut). Said my current ducting was only enough capacity for around 450 CFM, when my blower was set to 1000 CFM setting, so I could only imagine what the static pressures were in that unit. Explains why downstairs was always so warm in the summer, but just attributed it to all the windows and natural light. Anyway, I'm getting an additional return, enlarging one supply from a 6" to a 7" in the family room (facing the sun with all the windows) and having two new supplies added (one in the kitchen - which currently has zero supply) and one in the dining to balance out the air flow and temp. Since the front of my house and back of my house range widly in temps, they are going to have two returns to balance everything out and a bunch of new ductwork in my crawlspace.

In regards to a two-stage unit, I was told that with the higher humidity in the downstairs during summer we have been having, this will eliminate that as it will not cycle on and off as much as the current unit does. Hoping the bump up to 16 SEER helps out with comfort (do not care in regards utility savings, but total comfort). I do qualify for the tax rebates with the IRS (well, the balance of $200 since I used $300) and then $400 with my utility company for a duct seal and 16 Seer rebate.

I just want to know - what all should I look out for at the time of install? Being a packaged unit, I was told labor is easier in regards to that equipment, but need to get the ductwork balanced. I am just curious how the two-stage unit would need to be set up and such.

Thank you.


source https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/2227151-Fell-victim-to-the-old-quot-Oversized-Under-Ducted-quot-scenario-new-unit-for-me-(YAY)?goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment