Thursday 4 March 2021

Aprilaire 500 to 600 upgrade worth it?

Hi all,

Firstly as a preface I know there was a thread similar to this but since it was missing RH numbers I wanted to post my own.

I had an Aprilaire 500A professionaly installed two months ago and I noticed it sometimes struggles to keep up depending on the target RH. It is not able to get the house above 36% RH, so I have to keep it on setting #3 as the target usually is below this unless above 40F outside. As an example, on a 40F day outside it takes between 6-8 hours with heat calls inbetween to bring the RH from 28% to 35%. Ideally I would like to keep this on setting #4 but then it runs all day and typically can't meet setpoint.

Unit is hooked to hot water and blower activiation is turned on - it is able to run indepentantly of heat calls. Water temperature going into the humidifer was measured to be 115F.

House details:
- Located in Canada - not a very cold part of Canada - this season coldest it got was about 5F
- Built in 2008, vapour barrier construction, good dual pane windows. Havne't measured ACH values but being relatively new I assume the house is not very leaky.
- Two storey's above grade totalling 2400 sqft, basement (finished and conditioned) is approx 1000 sqft, totalling approx. 3400 sqft.
- Forced air heating, gas furnace

I would like to request a few opinions on if upgrading to the 600A could help achieving 40-45% RH (when outdoor temps allow)? Thank you!


source https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/2227148-Aprilaire-500-to-600-upgrade-worth-it?goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment