Monday 24 January 2022

Potential CO issue

Just hoping to get some advice on a CO issue I think we're having.

Setup: Split level house, built in the 60s, ~2800 sqft. Furnace (Rheem r96va0702317msa) is in the first level, but isolated in a machine room that is quite small. Installed in 2011. This room has a door into a captive garage that sits under the bedrooms. The door itself is fairly well insulated/sealed. Furnace is vented into a flue shared with the hot water heater. Gas water heater in a separate (adjacent) room, no other gas appliances.

Yesterday one of our CO monitors went off on the lower level. Checked the CO monitor on the upper level and while it didn't go off, it read as a peak of 27 ppm. In retrospect, over the last few weeks, my wife has been having intermittent headaches and just feeling "off" which is not the norm. We had chalked it up to our disease-ridden children who have a new cold every week.

Shut down the furnace, opened the windows and called the HVAC guy. He came out and looked at everything, and did a combustion analysis for the furnace. Said everything looked ok, CO was 55 ppm in the flue. Ran the furnace, he checked household levels with his meter which were like 2 ppm.

So while I feel better, I just have this nagging suspicion that something isn't right. As I've thought about it, I'm wondering if the small mechanical room is sealed to the point that the furnace is starved for air. Overnight we let things run as normal, but I kept the door to the mechanical room open. Peak levels on all the meters were 0 this AM.

So what's my next move here? Any way to exclude this as a potential issue? I was planning on just buying a low level CO monitor, closing the door to the mechanical room today and seeing what the CO levels do in real-time. If I call another company, can they test this more formally?

Thanks for any advice.


source https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/2235829-Potential-CO-issue?goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment