Wednesday 3 March 2021

Short in Carrier 58CVA090

I'm looking for advice about a recurring problem with my Carrier system, originally installed in October 2010.

On 2/2/20, my air conditioning came on when the unit was set for heat. I called an HVAC contractor who came and replaced the original Carrier thermostat and a purple fuse (I think that's what he said it was). The problem recurred when he was testing the system, so he then replaced the wiring that ran through the wall from the thermostat to the unit (he expected he would find some sign of damage to the wire but did not). Things seemed o.k., but the problem recurred 5 days later. He came back, checked things out, then replaced the circuit board. Two hours after he left, the problem recurred again. He came back, looked things over again, and told me he didn't know what to do and maybe I should call someone else.

I called another HVAC person (got his name from Carrier) who told me I should get a new system. He did not say what was wrong, but he took out the new circuit board and said since it wasn't the problem and the last guy charged so much for it I should try returning it (the first contractor said that wasn't possible).

I called a third HVAC contractor for another opinion. The guys who came said the new thermostat was bad and replaced it. The problem occurred two more times before the end of March of 2020. Each time they insisted the problem was the thermostat--said it must have been a bad batch (all Honeywells). The last tech who came said he could not find a short.

I made it through the end of the last heating season and beginning of this winter's season only to have the problem occur again on December 12. The contractor came back and--you guessed it--replaced the thermostat. Twelve days later the problem occurred again. This time a different tech from the same company came. Her boss told her to replace the thermostat but she did not do that since it seemed to be work after she disconnected the A/C. She left the A/C disconnected and said the company would send a more senior tech to diagnose the problem. She also said she was recommending that they order and install an original Carrier thermostat, and put in the new circuit board I still have. I have not heard from the company since then and thought I'd seek some advice before doing anything else.

Thank you!


source https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/2227136-Short-in-Carrier-58CVA090?goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment