Friday 5 March 2021

Asking advice on York vs. other heater options for Bay Area bungalow. Two-stage?

Hi all, I’m a new member and hope everyone is keeping well. I’d appreciate your thoughts on the best heater options.

Humble abode: 920sf bungalow, working class city north of Berkeley CA , built 1948, bought 11 years ago. Basically a solid one-story home in Zone 3 but like its owner a bit creaky. 10 windows, crawl space. Attic has a 30y.o. Payne unit that still runs with some repairs, but it’s time to replace. Return in hallway; I do swap filters out. The Payne has 69,000 BTUH input at 80%. I want to have a spanking new furnace added and 7 ancient supply ducts replaced. Will also upgrade attic insulation w/ R-38 batting (not included in estimates). Don’t know TEL and most HVAC folks who have visited don’t do a load calc.

Contractors: All over the place, from exorbitant to pretty cheap. Let’s just say high estimate for heater and ducting runs about 3x the low. I very much liked Mr. Low who has an excellent reputation and is local. Didn’t try to upsell; thought I’d do fine with 80% single stage York, which he deals. HOWEVER, the estimate came in-- without model #s,-- lowest for a 60K BTU 80% York Guardian, which a bit of research suggests is barrel-bottom model. The output seems about right, 40-45K range (I think).

Questions:
1. Tempting to go for a high-efficiency model but why bother? It’s San Francisco weather here: Mediterranean. 80% AFUE should work, right?
2. Do I need two-stage? I presume I can do without variable speeds. It’s a six-room bungalow.
3. As others on this site have said, I’d like to not overspend. But I want to get a decent *middle-tier* heater that is reliable and durable. 20 years would be nice. Our ancient Payne heats the place fine, and does not quick-cycle. We keep it at 68-70 when on.
4. I’m tempted to ask Mr. Low for a mid-range Bryant quote, or similar. You guys are the experts (I know there’s no agreement), but what make/models are likely to endure?
Really appreciate your answers. Stay safe!


source https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/2227186-Asking-advice-on-York-vs-other-heater-options-for-Bay-Area-bungalow-Two-stage?goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment