Friday 26 February 2021

428 kwh in one day for home heat??

My electric bill has always been high. Higher than all my neighbor's and friend's with similar houses, number of occupants, etc. When I say high, I mean like double or more. It is most definitely due to my heating and air conditioning. The units work great; so, I am leery of replacing them until I know that doing so will dramatically improve efficiency. I am really curious as to whether 428 kwh / day (granted, a very cold day) is normal for 2 units.

Here are the specs:
1) Brick 2500 sq ft home built in 2002 w/original units
2) One unit is 2.5 ton, the other 4 ton. Both 10 seer.
3) Units are NOT Heat Pumps
4) Outside units are Trane. Inside are Goodman. I know this alone hurts efficiency.
5) Inside units are in attic
6) It seems the 2.5 ton runs on one circuit at 10,230 watts
7) 4 ton runs on 2 circuits. One at 9960 watts. The other at 5460 watts. I assume one is the furnace, the other the blower. Feel free to educate me.
8) Exterior walls are VERY well insulated. Ceilings are average.

I'm including a picture of my electrical usage. A normal day is around 50 kwh when very little or no use of the heater. So my question is, do you think 428 kwh/day could be correct for my systems even if they are properly installed? Would going to a 15 seer matched unit make a dramatic difference in electrical usage?
Attached Images
 


source https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?2226986-428-kwh-in-one-day-for-home-heat&goto=newpost

No comments:

Post a Comment